Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My 6 year old head twitches only when I play with her. But

Customer Question

My 6 year old head twitches only when I play with her. But last week she couldn't lift her head and I took her to vet and got blood test and let her stay there all day so they can giver the fluids.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?
Customer: They didn't tell me what is wrong with her.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: She seems lethargic lately and loosing a lot of weight
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.
Hello,I am sorry your girl is not feeling well.It sounds like she has hypokalemia which is merely low potassium. imbalance causes muscle weakness. It does not show up on standard lab work.All she needs is a potassium supplement. Then the twitching should stop and she should be able to lift her head just fine. The fluids should have helped temporarily. In the meantime sprinkle some Mrs. Dash on her food.About an eighth of a tsp.She should also have a T4 test for hyperthyroid: that disorder the cat eats great but the excess thyroid hormone in the blood burns up all the calories. Feed her small meals every two hours so she can put weight back on. That is the best way for her body to metabolize calories.When she is lethargic rub a drop of pancake syrup or honey into her gums into raise her blood sugar. Please let me know how she is doing.Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.Kind regards,Terri