Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat is 5 years old. She quite often vomits back her first

Customer Question

My cat is 5 years old. She quite often vomits back her first meal of the day undigested and then asks for more. She appears healthy.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not as far as I know . There was no evidence of anything other than catfood
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Leiya
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Layia?
Customer: She came to me 18 months ago from a happy family unable to have her in their new home
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) Is Leiya a normally sized cat or obese?2) Does she eat slowly or quickly?3) How many times each day does she eat? 4) Have any meds been tried to reduce vomiting?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is a normally sized cat; she does eat quite quickly ; now I give her 4 small meals; no meds tried as she appears healthy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I don't want to call you. You have already taken two lots of money out of my bank account and all I have had from you is questions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think I deserve a pro-active response from you for the money you have charged. I might as well have gone to a local vet. I thought you were experts.
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Hello,I am sorry Leiya has this trouble.It is due to acid reflux. What happens is a certain amount of acid builds up during the night. In the morning Leiya is quite hungry so she eats too fast. That causes her to swallow air, hence the first meal comes back up.You can put a stop to this by leaving her a snack to munch during the night. That way her tummy will not be empty in the morning.In addition, elevate her bowls so she does not swallow air. You can place them up on a phone book or something that height.For her evening meal give canned food with one quarter of a pepcid a/c (famotidine) added to prevent acid build-up.http://www.1800petmeds.com/Famotidine-prod11171.htmlSmooth pate canned food is best. Dry food or wet with chunks, shreds or pieces is less digestible and can cause vomitingwww.catinfo.org Please let me know if this solves the problem and how Leiya is doing. Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.Kind regards,Terri