Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Sudden onset of head wobble and he is very unbalanced on his

Customer Question

Sudden onset of head wobble and he is very unbalanced on his feet. He is refusing to move more than crawling a few inches at a time.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Cyrano and his estimated age is around 11
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cyrano?
Customer: He has had all teeth pulled except for 6.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 7 months ago.
Hello, and welcome. My apologies that no one answered your question earlier. I recently signed on and wanted to help. Your patience is greatly appreciated. I'm so sorry to hear of Cyrano's symptoms that are worrisome to you. Did he just have his teeth extracted before this behavior began, or were the extractions a while ago? From your description, it sounds like he may have developed vestibular syndrome. The vestibular apparatus is located in the inner ear and controls balance and equilibrium. An ear infection or other problem in the ear can cause the vestibular system to be 'off' and causes dizziness, walking like a drunkard, and sometime, nausea, as the symptoms are similar to motion sickness. Cyrano may be reluctant to stand up and walk, because he feels dizzy and off balance. Here is more information for you to read: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/vestibularsyndrome.cfm-------- His sudden onset of a head wobble may be caused by vestibular syndrome, or he might have a more serious condition, like a head trauma or brain tumor. I hope this isn't the case and don't wish to alarm you, but just wanted you to be aware of some other possibilities. Due to his senior age and the fact that these symptoms developed suddenly, it would be advisable to have Cyrano seen in person by a vet, asap. This is not the sort of thing that can be treated with a home remedy, because we need to have a definite diagnosis, first, after an in-person exam. If it's after hours for you, a visit to the nearest ER vet center would be your best next step. If you don't know the location of the nearest ER vet center, plug in your zipcode at this site and you will find one: http://www.vetlocator.com/hotline.php------- I hope all will be well with Cyrano and please let me know how he's doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks! Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue at no additional cost.Warmest regards,Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.
Hello, again.I'm just checking in with you to see how everything is going with Cyrano. I hope all is well!I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so, please let me know. If you need any additional information, please simply click 'Reply' and I will be glad to help you further.I look forward to hearing back from you and/or receiving a positive rating.Many thanks!Cher