Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

She is not walking properly on her hind legs. When examined

Customer Question

She is not walking properly on her hind legs. When examined by vet today, her right hind foot was slow in reacting when being flexed back-sometimes it was just kind of dragging on the table. It's intermittent, even the vet said it was flexing sometimes and not others-what could this be?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: As far as I'm aware-no injury and she's an indoor cat
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Slinky and she's ten in july
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stinky?
Customer: No, not that I'm aware of, I've another cat and two dogs. They've never fought
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 5 months ago.
Hello, and welcome. I'm sorry Slinky is experiencing this symptom and has you worried. Was any blood work done at the vet's office? Weakness in the hind legs in a senior kitty are typically associated with two underlying medical conditions: diabetes (diabetic neuropathy) and feline cardiomyopathy (a heart condition). Here is more detailed information about both: to the intermittent slow flexing back on the right hind foot at the vet's, it's possible that she did sustain an injury you were not aware of and she might have injured a tendon or ligament. She may have jumped down from a height and landed wrong. If no imaging was done at the vet's, that would be a good next step, in addition to the blood work. This will aid in providing a diagnosis and then she can be treated, if necessary. I hope all will be well with Slinky! Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue at no additional cost.Warmest regards,Cher