Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

She seems to be trying to poop but only water comes out. She

Customer Question

She seems to be trying to poop but only water comes out. She is good with the litter usually but right now is trying anywhere
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Cleo 18
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cleo?
Customer: No I think that is all that is worrisome at the moment. She is constantly washing the bum area but won't let me near to look but keeps it fully wet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your girl Cleo. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. The most likely problem here is that Cleo either has cystitis or a urinary tract infection rather than a poop issue. Often it looks like cats with cystitis are trying to poop, when in fact they are straining to pee. Urinary tract infections are much more common in older cats as their urine tends to be more dilute - hence it is easier for bacteria to flourish and grow. Cystitis is the medical term for bladder inflammation and can occur in cats of any age due to stress. The frequent urination with only small amounts at a time, is very common in both of these issues. Both of these conditions really do require Veterinary intervention and medication - usually antibiotics and/or antiinflammatories. A urine test including possibly a full culture would be the next best step to get an exact diagnosis on this. This isn't an emergency unless your girl is particularly distressed. Do keep an eye on her for another hour or so and assess how she is. If she seems to be particularly stressed or painful, then do get her seen tonight, otherwise scheduling an appointment with your regular vet in the morning will be fine. For now, you really do need to try and get her to drink as much as possible - this is very important. You can try making her up a chicken broth if she really isn't a good drinker. If you have been seeing her urinate ok and she is definitely struggling to poop, then constipation is the likely issue. This does happen in older cats, however typically requires a suppository called 'micralax' given by your local vet, or even a full enema. Either way, I would definitely recommend that you get her seen at some point tomorrow morning if you can. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.