PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I rescued mother and three kittens two days ago. Mother is

Customer Question

I rescued mother and three kittens two days ago. Mother is sort of friendly (I can pet her) but I am concerned that she sometimes drools or her tongue shows slightly. She is nursing and eating and still so scared. Am assuming all is due to stress and nursing???? should I take her to Vet? although she is nursing and the kittens do not eat on their own yet. Thanks so much.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: Is this a normal behavior in nursing mothers?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) How old are these kittens? 2) Are you seeing any odd discharge in the drool or is it clear? 3) When she's nursing her young, does she appear stressed? Laying on her side making "nursing" motions with her paws? Or laying abdomen slightly up?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Kittens could be 5/6 weeks. Discharge is clear. She is still stressed when nursing, I rescued/trapped her two days ago. She does not drool or show her tongue all he time.... the family is still very afraid but I can pet everyone .....kittens are clean and look very healthy.
When she drools, do you find that this correlates with being petted or with nursing? That is, do you find her with drool on her after she's been nursing without human contact or does she begin drooling when being handled?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Drooling is after nursing.
Thank you for the additional information. It will take me about 5 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how I will be compensated for my time.
I would not be concerned about this behavior as this sounds entirely normal. In fact, we don't just see it with nursing. Often, when cats are content, they will drool. We can see this while they nurse kittens, when they are being petted or cuddled by their owners, when they are participating in playtime with their favorite toy, etc. Some cats will also exhibit drooling when excited about food or interaction, too. Unless you begin to see that her behavior is changing, I don't think it's necessary to do anything at all. There is little, if anything, that you can do to change this behavior as it just displays her happiness. Expect that if you are able to integrate her into your home (or adopt her out) that she may carry this behavior over to receiving attention from people once she's less stressed. More info available here: http://www.cathealth.com/how-and-why/why-do-cats-drool Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.
Mireille, checking in to see if you have any additional questions I can answer on this mom's behavior?