Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I was just researching about the sesame seed/tape worm thing.

Customer Question

I was just researching about the sesame seed/tape worm thing. My maine coon has been doing this.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations Coon can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. How old is Coon?
Customer: She's a little over 2 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coon?
Customer: Inside cat, but sneaks out when she can. We always get her back in but she managed to pick up fleas one time last year
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
You've described dried-up tapeworm segments of Dipylidium - the flea tapeworm. It takes just one flea containing a larval tapeworm to be ingested to develop an adult tapeworm in just 3 weeks. These rarely cause clinical symptoms but we, of course, want to get rid of them. You can find over the counter tapewormers containing praziquantel in pet/feed stores or online which will get rid of your cat's tapeworms with just one dose. Here's an example of such a product:'ll need to improve flea control to prevent this occurring again. Your vet carries newer prescription flea products to which fleas haven't developed resistance. Both oral and topical products are available and if you prefer, a relatively new over the counter flea collar called Seresto is remarkable in its ability to kill fleas over a period of 8 months. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.