Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My cat is 10 months old and been throwing up and just notice

Customer Question

My cat is 10 months old and been throwing up and just notice today he started breathing heavily
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No not that I know of. As soon as he eats he throws it back up
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Capone
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Capone?
Customer: He doesn't have any shots and he's brother ran away about a week ago so we thought he was just sad but he doesn't look to good please help
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your boy Capone. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. Capone's symptoms are definitely a concern and you need to keep a very close eye on him if his breathing seems to be affected. There are a few things that could be happening here including a primary lung issue, or even a secondary issue after he vomited yesterday. Sometimes cats can breath the vomit into their lungs (we call this an aspiration pneumonia) so that would be my primary worry here. It sounds like he is still vomiting everything he tries to eat as well. This could be due to anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity or poisoning, or even a foreign body obstruction. For now - try with holding his food for 3 - 4 hours, but make sure he has plenty of water available. If he can't keep water down, then you will need to get him seen straight away as he will become very dehydrated very quickly. Likewise, if his breathing is still not very good, then you are best to get him seen now if you can. Breathing issues in cats can quickly spiral out of control, so it is always best to follow up sooner rather than later. For now, please keep an eye your boy's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your boy doesn't try to bite you):Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting or open mouth breathing at all tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.All the best with Capone, and as above - if he can't keep water down, or if he is still having issues with his breathing, then you are best to get him seen straight away. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
Hi again, How is Capone doing now? His breathing issue was a concern last week - did that settle down? It would be good to get an update when you get a chance. Kind Regards,Dr E