Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My persian cat appears to have a respiratory infection. Sneezing,

Customer Question

My persian cat appears to have a respiratory infection. Sneezing, one eye drainage. I had asked the question over an hour ago and a urologist response appeared but no advice. I paid deposit, but need a vet, not a urologist. Max had a feline resp vaccine on Dec 15, 2015. I will be going out in 20 min for the day, unfortunately.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.
Dear *****,I am sorry Max has an upper respiratory infection.These are viral, analogous to our common cold. Antibiotics are only scripted to prevent secondary infections. Since Max is inoculated, his own immune system should knock this out hence, we only need to treat the symptoms.Every 24 hours add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeton to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton/page1.aspxIt is very tiny so he will not detect itAny of these can be substituted:Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily orChlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day orClaritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat orZyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a dayIt is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).You can also add 250 mg of l-lysine to his water to boost his immune system.Or use these:http://www.calvetsupply.com/product/Optixcare_L_Lysine_Soft_Chews_60_Chews/Cat_Treats_and_GrassFeed him odorous foods so he can easily smell them and will keep eating.For hydration drain the water from a can of tuna into a bowl and let him lap it up.Take him in the steamy bathroom for 10 minute intervalsApply a warm, damp teabag to the affected eye. The tanic acid in the tea will sooth and lower the PH of his tears.Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.Kind regards,Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Hi Linda,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?
Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Hi Linda,Were you able to ready my answer regarding Max?Do you wish to discuss anything further?Just let me know and I will be here for you.
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Hello,I am sorry Flame is drooling. It is due to the bamboo plant which can cause irritation of the mucus membranes in his mouth.