Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

2 year old healthy male cat, neutered.. He hasn't pooped in

Customer Question

2 year old healthy male cat, neutered.. He hasn't pooped in 2 days.. 3 days ago he spent the night at the animal hospital because he kept going to the litter box, nothing would come out, then he would go to the corner and throw up bile.. he has eaten soft food and has had entry of water since he's been home, he's peed twice a little but no poop.. what should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Irish
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Irish?
Customer: No, he's a healthy cat.. the doctor at the hospital thought he could of had an obstruction that may have past, nothing showed up on his ultrasound
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.
Hello,I am sorry Irish is having trouble.May I please have more information?Is he able to urinate fine?Is he the type to eat non food items?What is his usual food?Indoor kitty?Thanks,Terri
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He's an indoor cat, his main diet is Purina hard food. He usually only gets the soft food as a treat once in awhile. I usually give him the "temptations" treats from walmart once a day as well. He does not eat things that aren't food, that I've ever seen I should say..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
And he has only peed maybe 3 times since he's been back home
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.
Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. Irish may have a burning sensation when he voids causing him to hold back his urine or he could be underhydrated.I want you to give him one to two ounces of whole milk right away. NOT cold, either room temp or warm. It is a natural laxative that should produce stool within two hours. Once he poops, feed him canned food for 48 hours. It contains oil that will soften his stool and enable it and digested hair to move through the GI tract.Up his fluid intakeFor dehydration drain the water from a can of tuna and let him lap it up.Please let me know when he goes and how he is doing.Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.Kind regards,Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Terri