Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

Our family is thinking about getting a cat and I had a couple

Customer Question

Our family is thinking about getting a cat and I had a couple questions. 1) I've been know to be allergic to cats. Can you recommend some breeds that are hypoallergenic. 2) Can we get a cat that's already letterbox trained? 3) Is there such a thing as a cat that won't scratch up our furniture or do you just get the cat de-clawed. 4) Also looking for a cat that will get along with the kids (15 and 13). 5) Also looking for a cat that's indoor cat from the get-go. Every once in awhile we may go away for a night or two and I'm wondering if there's a cat that doesn't mind being alone for a couple days max. With all that in mind, what would you recommend (if such a cat exists) and where should we start looking? We're in Los Angeles. Thanks.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 5 months ago.
Hello, and welcome. I'm glad you're thinking about getting a cat---this is an unbiased opinion (lol): they're GREAT! : ) Some breeds are considered hypoallergenic, and you can see them here: If you get a kitten that is over 6 months old, or any adult cat (over a year), they will be litterbox trained. Cats love to scratch on things, and that's why you would get a tall scratching post or cat tree or kitty condo. There is no guarantee that any cat won't scratch on furniture, but there are techniques to use to deter or prevent them from doing so. I do not believe in declawing, because not only is the claw removed, but the first joint of the toe, as well. It is considered inhumane because it causes pain and can cause the cat to become a biter and have litterbox problems; also, it is illegal in many other countries, including the UK. Your kids are not toddlers, so a friendly cat who loves people, should pose no problem, as long as the kids are taught how to treat the cat properly. Indoor cats are safest and live longest; most cats up for adoption are indoor-only cats, but, you would have to ask if the cat has any outdoor experience and then only go for the ones that have never spent time outside. If you go away for night or two, it would be a good idea to have a pet sitter or a friend, relative, neighbor, etc., spend some time with the cat when they come to feed, change the water, and scoop the litterbox. Some cats don't mind being left alone for 2 nights, max, as long as you leave plenty of water, dry food and two litterboxes; however, I always recommend having a pet sitter come to stay with the cats and/or at least, have a trusted person come to do what I mentioned, above to keep the cat company and see that s/he is okay and not feeling sick. It's always best to start looking in shelters or cat rescue organizations, knowing you'll be saving a life. The workers there, usually know the entire history of the cat, so they can connect the two of you, based on your needs. If you need to adopt a pure-bred cat, due to the hypoallergenic need, look through the website I included above, and read about the personality traits of each cat. There are several that are family-friendly, affectionate and have easygoing personalities. I hope this helped and if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask me at any time. Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue at no additional cost.Warmest regards,Cher