Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

I have a 17 yr old kitty. Izzy weighs less than 5 pounds. I

Customer Question

I have a 17 yr old kitty. Izzy weighs less than 5 pounds. I believe her sense of smell has dimished. I have tried several brands of canned cat food. I have bought brands like Blue, Nitro, Max. Izzy will tolerate Fancy Feast. I will open over 5 cans of different food with very little success of her eating. She is a gravy liker. I am concerned about her nutrition. In her litter box her dropping are good and well as her urine out put.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 8 months ago.
Hi Sherrie,I am sorry Izzy is not eating well. I agree the sense of smell declines as cat age.Get few cans of A/D cat food from a vet. It is high calorie, very nutritious canned food.In addition, offer Izzy human baby food with no onion or garlic, people tuna in water, salmon, clam juice, sardines, fish etc.Stick to smooth, pate canned foods. Nothing with shreds, pieces of chunks. If she likes gravy use chicken, turkey or beef baby food to make some.Warm the food as the smell encourages eating.Feed her every two hours, small meals as that is the best way for her body to metabolize calories and put weight back on.She can also have catsure, ensure and chicken, turkey, beef or liverPlease let me know how things are going.Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.Kind regards,Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 8 months ago.