Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My cat ate a piece of dental floss. the vet says a scope

Customer Question

my cat ate a piece of dental floss. the vet says a scope would cost $2000 - $3000. anything i can give him to help dissove the floss propably 13-14 inches in length?
Category: Cat
Expert:  CVT_in_MN replied 5 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.Unfortunately, there's nothing that you can give her to dissolve the dental floss. When a cat eats something like string or tinsel or dental floss, it can cause a couple different problems.....First, there's the likelihood of an intestinal obstruction. This is what happens when a cat eats something too big or bulky or gets knotted up that gets caught in a loop of the digestive tract and causes everything to grind to a halt. When this happens, the cat is unable to eat or drink normally, unable to defecate and will eventually be a fatal problem if left untreated.Secondly, when these cats eat this kind of thing, we actually worry more about the high probability of the intestines getting 'sawed' open dumping the contents into the abdomen. The stomach has a mechanism called 'peristalsis', which means that it's muscle contractions that force food through the digestive tract. A piece of string or dental floss gets caught in the contractions and very often, the front of the string is further ahead than the rest of the string/floss, this causes a sawing motion as the digestive tract contracts trying to move things along. Eventually, the string tears through the intestines. When this happens, it's called sepsis....a system wide infection...and is usually fatal.Unfortunately, there is no way to treat this at home. I understand that you(like so many other people) are in a hard financial spot right now. There are some organizations that might be able to help. If you'll follow these links: ,, you'll find dozens and dozens of organizations that may be able to help pay for you to take your dog to the vet. Also, there are some clinics who offer free exams and other treatments and require that you only pay for medications. If you'll follow this link: , you can see if there is one in your area.I wish there was something you could do at home, but your cat definitely needs the scope and probably surgery to remove the string. I hope this helps.
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.
I am so sorry Ellie lost a kitten. I hope she is able to have more live, healthy babies.Cats have two uterine horns so mommy can have kittens in each.If she has another one let it nurse because nursing by the baby should bring on further contractions so you want to encourage that. Also allow her to eat the afterbirth as that brings on contractions as wellIt can actually take 30 hours or more for a cat to complete a four kitten(average) delivery. When she is done she will want to eat as they feel starved. She CAN have more up to 30 hours later.A cats appetite is the best barometer of her health because if they are sick or in pain, they will not eat.A baby happy and nursing indicates she is producing good milk.I would not worry unless she appears upset,has pale gums, seems in pain, has an odorous discharge or another several hours goes by with obvious labor and no production of babies. Sometimes cats can develop uterine infection, the symptoms are:pain, fever, odorous discharge, in appetite and pale gums.