Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My cat damaged one eye about 2 weeks ago. The vet said it looked

Customer Question

My cat damaged one eye about 2 weeks ago. The vet said it looked like an impact injury but there was no damage to the cheek or jaw. The eye filled with blood and then drained in about a week. She is now left with a pupil that will not contract so, from reading an earlier post, it is possible that there is ophthalmic nerve damage. Is this something that will improve over time or is it treatable in any way?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Kali
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kali?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not sure if is working correctly, after payment was told that I would receive a response by email but I never had an option to tell you my email address.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It sounds as if a common complication to hyphema (blood in the anterior chamber of the eye) - anterior synechia - has arisen. A synechia is diagnosed when the iris adheres to either the cornea (i.e. anterior synechia) or lens (i.e. posterior synechia). Synechiae can be caused by ocular trauma and uveitis (inflammation of the iris and its attachments) and may lead to glaucoma (increased intraocular pressure). It is sometimes visible on careful examination but usually more easily through an ophthalmoscope or slit lamp. It's important that a specialist veterinary ophthalmologist (rvc.ac.uk/small-animal-referrals/ophthalmology) take a look at Kali's eye at your earliest convenience. The proper therapy will then be determined. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What are the therapy options for synechiae in cats?
It depends upon the severity and placement of the synechiae. Both medical and surgical treatments (including laser) are available and the treatments vary widely.