Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

This morning she gave birth to one kitten that was dead when

Customer Question

This morning she gave birth to one kitten that was dead when we found that she was giving birth, she is still very big and seems like she should be giving mire but nothing has happened could they ne stillborn inside her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will not be able resurrect the kitten. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Hooter
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hooter?
Customer: There was a puddle of blood on the concrete and some other splashes of drops here and there
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. It does sound like she probably has more kittens. Once they start labor, they should continue until all the kittens are out. I don't like them to go more than 2-4 hours between kittens in a resting phase. I'm worried that there may be more dead kittens in her and that's why she's not getting the signal to continue labor. If this is the case, the safest option is to just go in surgically and do a c-section/ spay at the same time. If there are any live kittens, they can be revived. The longer she goes, the lower that chance is. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.