Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

Taz is a bengal. He is breathing is labouring and quick as

Customer Question

Taz is a bengal. He is breathing is labouring and quick as if under duress. Vet gave him clavamox 1.5 ml 2x daily and prednisone 0.2 ml 2x daily started last night. We are to advise how Taz is on Monday morning. No fever, normal lymph glands no other symptoms. Eating and drinking normally. Kitty litter shows urine and poop all as usual. We lost our other cat March 1st. Since then Taz has been more friendly and outgoing with strangers. I'm very worried about his breathing and if the drugs are necessary
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about March 1?
Customer: Taz lost his companion cat although that cat was the dominant cat.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 5 months ago.
Hello, and welcome. My heartfelt condolences on the recent loss of Taz's companion. How old is Taz? When did you first notice the labored breathing? Is he coughing at all? Did you bring him to the vet for this reason and were given the medications you mentioned? Does Taz have any other medical problems or is on any other medications that you know of? Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me some time to compose and send your detailed answer. Warmest wishes,Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 5 months ago.
Hello again, It seems that you have not yet read my request for additional information and I don't want you to wait any longer for an answer. This may be an emergency situation, if Taz has labored breathing and appears to be under duress. It's possible that he is experiencing a cardiac or respiratory problem and needs to be seen by an ER vet, right away. Imaging may be necessary to look at his lungs and heart. Cats can develop a heart condition called feline hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, which can cause labored breathing. Here is more information:, as a breed, are predisposed to develop this heart condition. Please see more, here: "A heart condition, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, is common in Bengals. This disease of the heart muscle usually occurs in the older cat. The heart muscle thickens, so the organ must work much harder, causing a number of problems. These may include blood clots, or thrombosis, rendering the back legs immobile. The disease also leads to congestive heart failure, resulting in death. Early signs of cardiomyopathy include panting and lethargy." Source: hope you're able to bring Taz to an ER vet center for evaluation, diagnosis and treatment and he will be fine! Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue at no additional cost.Warmest regards,Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 5 months ago.
Hi again, I am concerned about Taz and was wondering if you were able to have him evaluated at an ER vet center and how he's doing now. Please update me as you can. Thanks very much!Cher