CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  I'm a veterinarian specializing in cats and have owned cats for 35 years. I love all things feline!
74496554

HiJA: . What do you want help with?Customer: my cat has

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. What do you want help with?
Customer: my cat has been sneezing for more than a year , I have taken him to vet several times , they say is alergy , he eats , sleeps and plays
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: zebedi
JA: How old is Zerbe?
Customer: 10 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zerbe?
Customer: sometimes when he is sneezing hard there is blood discharge , but normally is clear watery ,
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 7 months ago.
Hi! I'mCustomerand I can help with your question.For starters, can you tell me what if any medications your veterinarian has given him to try to solve his sneezing problem?In addition to the sneezing, is he having any eye problems? Watering, yellowish discharge, or squinting?I'll wait to hear back from you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi , they have given him some injection not sure what kind of , my cat has no watery eyes his eyes are good, and discharge from his nose is clear unless when he sneezes I can see some blood clut ( sometimes). Also some times he has whistle nose.
Is he eating well and maintaining a healthy weight, or has he lost weight?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He is eating very well, did not lose any weight and maintained same weight ,
That's good to hear.I think there is a very good chance you are dealing with feline herpesvirus, the most common cause of upper respiratory problems in the cat.All cats get exposed to this virus as kittens. And in some cats, even adults, we can see it flare up and cause ongoing respiratory problems like you are seeing - sneezing, nasal discharge, etc. Because it also can, if untreated, lead to serious eye problems, we do like to try to keep it under control. Since FHV is a herpesvirus, it cannot be cured (just like the cold sore virus in humans). But we do have a way to make it less of a problem for cats.I put my chronic sneezing kitties on an oral L-lysine supplement because this is known to interfere with the herpesvirus replication. Here in the US we have available some over-the-counter (nonprescription) lysine supplements made just for cats. They can be ordered online. I like Viralys powder because it can be mixed into canned food for easy administration. 1 scoop twice a day in a tablespoon of canned cat food for anywhere from two weeks to several months it typical. http://www.amazon.com/Vetoquinol-410633-Viralys-Powder-100gm/dp/B000FULBT4/ref=sr_1_2/185-5188769-0186908?ie=UTF8&qid=1462039109&sr=8-2&keywords=viralys+l-lysine+for+catsBecause sneezing like this is occasionally associated with more serious disease such as systemic fungal infection with Cryptococcus, and also certain types of cancer, if the lysine doesn't help you need to keep working with your vet to arrive at a diagnosis.Please let me know if you have further questions or need clarification. The system will alert me when you respond.
Not sure if you got my long explanation. Let me know if you have further questions.