Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  19 years in Companion Animal Practice and SPCA
2263760

My kitty has a limp on his front leg. He seems to be able

Customer Question

Hi my kitty has a limp on his front leg. He seems to be able to put pressure on it a bit, and ithe is very swollen and warm to the touch. I don't know what happened. He may have gotten in a fought with one of my other cats or knocked something down on himself? I don't know, I just want to know how I can help him.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yeah from what I see there isn't one.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your kitten?
Customer: I don't think so. He's almost a year old, but I don't think age much matters
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 7 months ago.
Hi this is Dr. Gabby. It sounds like the leg may be infected or there may be an abscess. That is a common result of a bite or scratch from another cat. The heat indicates infection.So, the treatment for that would be antibiotics. Unless you have some on hand for him you will need to take him to vet tomorrow.Most regular vets are open on Saturday mornings. That would be much less expensive than taking him to the emergency clinic.Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What would be the consequences of waiting to treat him? I just ask because I live fairly far away from the closest vet and may have to wait until Monday to get him there.
Ok so if he is not treated right away the infection could go from his leg to his whole body. That is called sepsis.If the infection went to his whole body he would be very lethargic and not moving much. He would probably stop eating and drinking. So as long as is still moving around and eating and drinking well then you can wait until Monday.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby