Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat had an head injury and since then she's been sleeping

Customer Question

My cat had an head injury and since then she's been sleeping a lot throwing up and not eating or drinking
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: No I just really need help I'm sooo scared
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 7 months ago.
Hello, Kenya and welcome. I'm so sorry to hear that Fancy had a head injury and is exhibiting these worrisome symptoms. How old is she? How long ago did this happen? How was her head injured? Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me some time to get a detailed answer back to you. Warmest wishes,Cher
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for responding she's about 5 months, and this happened Wednesday morning I had tried to hit her with the broom and accidentally hit her with the hard part which then made her nose bleed for a couple of seconds since then she has not been the same
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please help us I'm sooo scared I don't want to lose her and I can't afford a CT scan
Expert:  Cher replied 7 months ago.
Hi again, and you're most welcome. Due to Fancy's current symptoms and the fact that she's a young kitten, plus, this happened 2 days ago, there's no doubt that she needs to be evaluated in person by a veterinarian, as soon as possible. She may have a concussion, as her symptoms are consistent with this, and some imaging (an x-ray, MRI) may be needed. Here is more information on head injuries in cats: http://www.petplace.com/article/cats/diseases-conditions-of-cats/emergency-trauma-urgent-care/head-trauma-in-cats If you feel you can't afford a CT scan, other imaging may be recommended, but she really needs to be seen by a vet, today. If you're in a financial bind, you have a few options: apply for Care Credit, which is like a credit card just for vet care (or even human health/dental fees) and most vets accept this, then you can pay out the fee in smaller monthly installments. I think they even have some promotional plans that don't carry interest. Here is more info: http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/ You can also bring her to a VCA Animal Hospital, if you have one near you (they are nationwide); they have a downloadable coupon for new patients for a free first visit exam: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer You might also contact any organizations in this list, to ask for help: http://speakingforspot.com/index.php?p=Financial-Assistance-for-Veterinary-Care-----------There is really no 'home treatment' for a head injury, especially if she's not eating or drinking on her own. I would recommend that you syringe or dropper feed her from the side of her mouth, but we don't know how well she can swallow, and you don't want her aspirating any food or fluid. I hope you're able to have her seen right away and all will be well with your sweet furry girl! Please let me know how she's doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks! Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue at no additional cost.Warmest regards,Cher
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did take her to a vet yesterday but they seem to find nothing wrong
Expert:  Cher replied 7 months ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply with important additional information. You hadn't mentioned that she had already been seen by a vet. Did they tell you to syringe or dropper feed her food and water? Did they check her for dehydration and give her any fluids under the skin? I assume they checked her pupils to see if they were equal in size and reactive to light. I'm guessing that they suggested the CT scan, to see the extent of any injuries. If they didn't seem to find anything wrong, then the only thing you can do at home is to get fluids and nutrition into her with a dropper or medicine syringe. Get some plain, jarred baby food chicken containing NO onion or garlic (Beechnut Stage 1 chicken is a good one) water it down with some plain water and dropper feed her 2 droppers every 30 minutes for an hour; then let her rest for an hour and do it again. Go in from the side, not front of her mouth, where there is an opening between her upper and lower teeth and squeeze in just a little at a time and wait for a swallow. You can gently rub her throat to encourage the swallow reflex. Mix water and infant's clear, unflavored Pedialyte 50/50 and dropper feed her that, too, in the hours when you're not giving her food. If she can't keep anything down and is still vomiting, the vet should be made aware of this. For the moment, if she is nauseated and is vomiting, don't give her any food or water, but you can give her 1/4 of a 10mg. Pepcid AC (Famotidine) tablet and this will help the quell the nausea which is probably due to her empty stomach producing excess acid. Pepcid AC is an acid controller. If her symptoms continue, call the vet to report this and have her seen again. If she's still vomiting, she can be given a shot of an anti-emetic to stop the nausea. Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue at no additional cost.Warmest regards,Cher