Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat hasn't peed or poop in 2 days eversince i bought her

Customer Question

My cat hasn't peed or poop in 2 days eversince i bought her a new litter pan and litter.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Molly
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Molly?
Customer: Well she hasn't seen a vet because i can't afford one now! But there wasn't a problem until u switched new litter pans.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 8 months ago.
Hello, and welcome. I'm sorry Molly is exhibiting these worrisome symptoms. Cats are creatures of habit and sometimes, a change like this, of litter and litter pans will cause stress and cause her to not want to use the new items. If you still have her old litter pan and litter, I would suggest starting to use them again and then slowly transition her to the new items. If you haven't kept the old pan, empty the new one and wash it with hot, soapy water, then rinse well and dry. Most new pans have a pretty strong plastic smell and if you wash it, that might remove some of that scent. Try using the litter she's used to, in the new pan, and get some Cat Attract litter additive; this contains herbal attractants to encourage use of the litter pan. You can find it in major pet stores. Here is more information: http://preciouscat.com/product/cat-attract-litter-additive/--------------I'm sure you know that if she doesn't get rid of her waste, it will build up in her bloodstream and make her very sick.If you can't afford a veterinarian at this moment, try bringing her to a VCA animal hospital, if there's one near you. They're nationwide and offer a downloadable coupon for new customers' first visits. http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer You can also apply for Care Credit, which most vets accept and you can pay off the fee in small, monthly installments. http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/ Get some Feliway pheromone spray or a plug in diffuser. This contains cat-calming pheromones and is used with elimination problems. You can even very lightly spray some over the litter in the litter pan, but don't let her access it for about 30 minutes, when it is completely dry. This will make her think she has already 'marked' there with her waste and will know it is the correct place to go to eliminate. http://www.feliway.com/us Also, if the new pan is covered, uncover it and if the new litter is scented, get unscented litter. However, first, if possible, I do recommend going back to her old litter and pan. If you got rid of the other pan because it was old and retained the scent of her waste, I can understand that, because the plastic pans do retain that smell, no matter how well you wash them. If you're forced to use the new one, if the old one was thrown out, do what I mentioned, above, about washing it, but fill it with her old litter. If you want to change to a different litter in the future, for whatever reason, do it gradually, adding a little of the new to the 'old', and then each day, add a little more of the new, until you're totally changed over within about 2 weeks. This must be a gradual process. For the moment, place her in the pan after eating, take her front paw, and gently 'scratch' at the litter with it, so she remembers what she has to do in there. You can also try a second pan with her old litter, placed in a different part of the house, so she has a choice. Show her where it is and place her in it, as above, and scratch with her paw. Do this several times a day, usually after eating. I hope she will start using the pan again, soon and if she still hasn't eliminated by tomorrow, I would try my best to have her seen by the vet. Perhaps they could let you make installment payments, if you've been going there for a while or you could borrow the money from a friend, relative, neighbor, etc. I hope all will be well with your Molly and please let me know how she's coming along. Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue at no additional cost.Warmest regards,Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 8 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Cher