Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Pearl, over 3 weeks ago my cat was showing signs of a UTI

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, over 3 weeks ago my cat was showing signs of a UTI and I took her to the vet (blood in urine, continually straining to pee with drips of blood only). At that time they were unable to get a urine sample (bladder was empty), so they prescribed Clavamox and for several days the symptoms cleared up; however, after about 4 days the blood returned to her urine, so I returned to the vet and yet again they couldn't get urine, so we switched to a stronger antibiotic Veraflox. She has been on that for the last 18 days and all the symptoms seemed to be gone yet again and back to normal, however, tonight she is right back to square one with blood in the urine and straining to pee with little drops of blood. She has also had lower energy the last few days leading up to this. It is now after hours and wondering if I should take her to emergency now or if it's safe to wait until tomorrow to go to my regular vet. It was this same after hours emergency center that was unable to extract urine both times (both incidents of blood in the urine happened after hours and I took her to emergency)......not sure what is best....
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Ginger
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ginger?
Customer: She has kidney disease
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion? 1) Is she able to urinate and just passing blood this time? 2) Has anyone been able to get enough urine to perform a urinalysis yet? 3) If so, has a culture been performed? 4) What is being fed currently? 5) Any diet change recommended by the vet? 6) When was the kidney disease diagnosed? Any lab work to share?