Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat gags when trying to eat. I took her to the vet yesterday

Customer Question

My cat gags when trying to eat. I took her to the vet yesterday for an infection and she got an antibiotic shot. As soon as she try's to drink water she gags
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Little boy and 15. She's never done this before. I asked the vet to check for hair ball. I also set up a kitty litter box but she's never used one before. I set her in it but she jumps out. I hate to think she'll hold it in..
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Little Boy?
Customer: She got a full work up yesterday.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) Did your vet see any oral ulcers? 2) Does she have a history of upper respiratory issues? 3) Does she have access to any sewing items like needles, pins or similar? 4) Are you seeing any vomiting? 5) Is she eating well? 6) Any abnormality on her lab work? You can attach a copy, if you like. 7) How is her dental health? Any pawing at her face? 8) Aside from the antibiotic injection, did they give you any oral medications to give to her?