Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My cat runs from the litterbox hissing and growling, then licks

Customer Question

My cat runs from the litterbox hissing and growling, then licks himself like crazy.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Kitty. He is about 15 years.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kitten?
Customer: He acts as though he is starving.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Hello Adelia,I am sorry Kitty gets so upset. Can you please tell me how long he acting this way?Does he lick his genitals or elsewhere?Is his urine and stool normal?How long does he have an excess appetite?What does he eat?Has he ever been tested for hyperthyroid?After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.Thanks,Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Dear Adela,Thanks so much for your question.It sounds like Kitty has interstitial cystitis. He gets a painful burning sensation when he urinates. Of course, he gets mad and hisses. Then he licks the area to try and relieve his discomfort.Read about this here: him 3 drops of cranberry juice (by dropper) every day for ten days. It will lower the PH of his urine and stop the burning.Many vets feel this is caused by a dry food A ravenous appetite can be caused by hyperthyroid or diabetes, anemia or renal issues.A T 4 test can diagnose hyperthyroid: he has this it can be treated with medication and a food made by Hills called Y/DIt comes in wet and dry forms: Please let me know if this answers your questions and how Kitty is doing. Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.Kind regards,Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?