PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My cat is little over a year old and she started having labor

Customer Question

My cat is little over a year old and she started having labor pains and she had a dead kitten then she just stop having any signs of labor but she still has kittens in her because I can feel them move in her and it has been 3 days and she still hasn't had anymore what should I do
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will not be able resurrect your kitten. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Calie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Celia?
Customer: No that's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. This is a medical emergency. If you are correct and they're still moving, she's extremely lucky. By this point (3 days in) most of the kittens would be dead just like their sibling. Unfortunately, without surgery, this condition will likely claim her life. There are two things to know about this condition. First, she likely began as a dystocia or "difficult labor". Any babies within her are a high risk as the body works for remove them from mom in a prompt manner. When labor ceases and mom cannot naturally deliver them, they must be removed by c-section (with or without a spay). If this does not happen, the whole uterus can become necrotic once the babies die. At that point, mom's life is in grave danger because she has a necrotic, often infected, organ in her abdomen. The safest, and perhaps most cost effective, approach is to take her in for an x-ray to be sure she still has babies in there and her labor did not stop just because she had no more kittens. If you're correct and the babies are not only still present but also alive, she will likely need to have a c-section performed to remove them. This is very uncommon in cats (in comparison to dogs) but is a needed procedure if she's not able to produce the young on her own. If you would like to chat further about this on the phone to answer, I have opened up the option for a phone call. I understand this time is stressful and you have lots of questions on what can be done. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion?Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today.