Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

My cat Lucky seems to be breathing a little fast and has

Customer Question

Hi my cat Lucky seems to be breathing a little fast and has been coughing. Her appetite is good and behavior normal. Just saw the vet and all blood work normal. Had lost some weight. She is about 9. Any suggestions?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that Lucky has been having some breathing issues. I will do my best to help. I'm glad to hear that your veterinarian checked some blood work and it was all clear. For a kitty with a cough and breathing issues, I would also want to see some chest X-rays. The first thing we think of with coughing kitties is feline asthma. Sometimes this shows up on X-rays, while other times the X-rays will look completely normal. The diagnosis is usually made based on compatible clinical signs (a cough, wheezing heard with the stethoscope, a faster than usual breathing pattern, or a positive response to steroid treatment). The definitive diagnosis of asthma is technically made with culture and microscopic evaluation of samples obtained from a transtracheal wash or bronchoalveolar lavage - which are specialized tests that the average general practitioner doesn't actually perform. Coughing in kitties can also be caused by heart worm disease or infections. We can screen for heartworm disease with a blood test, while infections would require a culture, although many times we will do an empiric treatment with an antibiotic to see if it helps. So if Lucky is truly having some coughing and fast breathing (more than 40 breaths per minute) then I'd consider asking your vet if they feel she needs any additional respiratory testing. If you can get a video of her fast breathing and/or coughing episodes for your vet to review, that would also help them a lot.Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucky. How is everything going?

Doc Sara