Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

I wanted to respond to a question veterinarian Cher asked

Customer Question

I wanted to respond to a question veterinarian Cher asked me, but have not been able to. I was told I could get back to her if the topic was still the same. Can I be put through to Cher, please.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer. This is Cher. Can you please tell me what question you are referring to, which I answered for you? Thanks,Cher
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I just wanted to respond to your question of April 16 asking how things are going with the mother cat & her kittens. They are all doing well & the mom knows me, so didn't mind my picking up her kittens. However, my husband picked one of them up & she came out of her hideout hissing & carrying on until he put the kitten down. After that she found another hiding spot, & actually in a better area, so she's there now with her kittens. I have also blocked that area so that the kittens are not able to escape or get into any trouble. They also have a bigger area to run around in. The 6 month old kitten who is still outside from her prior litter of September appeared to be in heat the other day. So I imagine she was not pregnant from the heat cycle she had the middle of March. Is that correct, although I think she may have become pregnant this time around. We figured if we could catch the kitten, it would be early enough to get her spayed at this time, but she is extremely cautious, runs away & we simply have not been able to catch her. We might put the shelter the other kittens were in that we have inside at the moment outside. Perhaps, if we have to wait until she has kittens to catch her, she may use that same shelter her mother used for this last litter. Then we can bring her in like we did with mom cat & kittens.
Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply. I received the email notification that you had replied, just as I was about to sign offline for the night, so I will need to send you a detailed answer, tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for your patience and I'll be back in touch, tomorrow (Tuesday). Warmest regards,Cher
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I meant, the 6 month old kitten from mom's prior litter of September. I think she may possibly have the incentive to have kittens in the shelter her mom used as she was always in there with the mom & her little sibling kittens before we brought them in. Unfortunately, 6 month old kitten was not in there at that time.
Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.
Hi again, and thanks so much for your patience! The mom and kittens are only used to you, so that's why the mom got defensive when your husband picked up one of the kittens; now he'll know not to do that again--you don't want to agitate her and you will have to be the only one that touches them. I'm glad they're in a better and safer hiding place, now! Yes, I think it would be a good idea to put the shelter in a place near the house that the 6 mos. old kitten might be attracted to, when she smells the scent of her mom in there. You might have a good chance of catching her if she starts going in there, bring her inside and then you can find out if she's pregnant for sure, and have her checked out by the vet and spayed, in any case. I hope things go well and please keep me posted. Just reply on this conversation. Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue.Warmest regards,Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Stray. How is everything going?