Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

I found an injured cat. It looks like she has a broken jaw.

Customer Question

I found an injured cat. It looks like she has a broken jaw. All the places I called want $300 for an exam + xrays. Can I treat her myself at home?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Hi Jeyn,Bless you for helping his kitty!What makes you think her jaw is broken?Is she able to eat?What antibiotics do you have?About how much does she weigh?After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Dear JeynIf the kitty is able to eat you may be able to take care of her at home.Cats are remarkable healers. Go out and get chicken or turkey baby food with no onion or garlic and smooth pate canned cat food. You will also need unflavored pedialyte for hydration.Don't hold her up like a human baby, keep her on her tummy in a nursing position. Water down the food, insert syringe in the side of her mouth where there is a space between her teeth. Go VERY slow so she does not choke or aspirate. Keep a cat muzzle on her in between feedings to keep her jaws stablePlease let me know how she is doing.Send me your zipcode and what antibiotic you have. I will try to find a rescue that will treat her free or very reasonable.Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional wishes and prayers for her,Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Hi Jeyn Johnston,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?