Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My name is ***** *****, my 12yr old male cat is very lethargic

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****, my 12yr old male cat is very lethargic & barely eats...He does pee in the litter box but nothing else. I'm really scared
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I had the flu,2wks ago, & he's been like this for 10 days. first all he did was sleep under the the bed but at least now he has come out & sleeps on he end table. He will eat very little & drink very little water
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Cat Vets generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 6 months ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear that your boy is not feeling well. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help I just have a few questions. Any previous medical problems? Does he appear to have lost any weight? Did anything change in the house before this started? When did he last have a complete check up by the vet including blood work? When did he last pass stool? What color are his gums and if you actually touch them are they moist, dry or sticky?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the vet told me 12 agos that he had feline leukemia & wanted to put him down. He's been fine since..he has lost 6lbs since last week, nothing has changed in the house. hasnt been to vet in years, passed stools about 1wk ago, his gums are pale but moist
Expert:  Candy R. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information. I know this is not what you came here to hear but we really need to get a vet involved in this case and I will explain why.1. The pale gums indicate anemia, this can be due to many things including the end stages of feline leukemia or other disease process destroying or preventing the production of red blood cells.This can also be due to internal bleeding or shock.2. Extreme weight loss. When a cat does not eat or decreases its food intake the body begins to burn fat for energy. This fat then begins to build in the liver causing liver function to decline. This is a condition called hepatic lipidosis.If he is not passing stool then this could be because he is not eating enough or it could be that he is constipated or has some type of tumor blocking the passing of stool. I really suspect this is due to the Feline Leukemia, however, in a senior kitty we also worry about kidney disease, diabetes, and of course the Hepatic lipidosis mentioned above due to his decreased eating. It would be best to have him seen today at your local ER but I understand that is not always possible. If that is not an option then he needs to be seen by your regular vet as soon as they are available tomorrow. I do not believe this is something you can treat at home at this point and the last thing we want is for him to suffer. If you can not get him in today I would try to keep him warm and comfortable. Offer him a heating pad to lay on the table. You can offer him some boiled chicken or even chicken flavored baby food just be sure there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients. Again I know you were hoping for an at home treatment and I always try to offer then when possible but in the end my job is to advise owners on what is in the best interest of the pet and I think right now you kitty needs veterinary intervention to have the best chance of recovery. I hope this helps and he is able to get well soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be more then happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few minutes to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.Candy