Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Customer: My cat is a hunter type cat. I cant seem to find

Customer Question

Customer: My cat is a hunter type cat. I cant seem to find a way that he likes to play
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: I have tried several toys he likes them for a few days then loses interest My cat is less than 1 year and his name is Clyde
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: He has had been declawed
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Can you please tell me more about your boy?How old is Clyde exactly?Is he neutered?How long have you had him?Is he an only pet?After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.Thanks,Terri
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got Clyde from the Animal shelter. He was 3 months old. He is 10 months old now. They said that he was neutered, But I am not so sure. He meows ALOT. He Meows before going up the stairs to the litter box. He is the only pet. I am wondering if being declawed had anything to do with it. Although he was very slow at playing before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a special way to play with a cat that is a hunter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or should I say that he is a stalker player. I am not sure what to do with him.
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. Bless you for saving a shelter kitty.I do not think declawing has anything to do with Clyde's vocalizing. Some cats just like to talk.I think he has a lot of energy and gets bored. He wants to play with things that fight back so to speak. Many cats will amuse themselves with balls and fur mice but some need a challenge. all cats are hunters - some more then others but it is instinct.They stalk the pray - catch it - kill it and eat it.You must set up 2 - 3 20 minute play sessions with him. Use a feather wand, bird on a string or lasar pointer to get him chasing and running.http://www.zootoo.com/pet-product/cat-toys/funkitty-twist-n-treathttp://www.batarat.com/That will tire him out. He will actually "hunt" the bird or feather. When he gets it give him a treat to practice - CATCH - KILL - EAT. That is the way cats hunt. They catch the prey and reward themsleves by eating it.These sessions will tire him out and appeal to his hunting instincts.You can also get a harness and leash and walk him outside like a dog.To stabilize his sleep cycles give him 2 mg of melatonin in his wet food once a day. It is sold OTC in drug stores.Please let me know how Clyde does on that program. I think you will see a different kitty very soon.Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.Kind regards,Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. Bless you for saving a shelter kitty.I do not think declawing has anything to do with Clyde's vocalizing. Some cats just like to talk.I think he has a lot of energy and gets bored. He wants to play with things that fight back so to speak. Many cats will amuse themselves with balls and fur mice but some need a challenge. all cats are hunters - some more then others but it is instinct.They stalk the pray - catch it - kill it and eat it.You must set up 2 - 3 20 minute play sessions with him. Use a feather wand, bird on a string or lasar pointer to get him chasing and running.http://www.zootoo.com/pet-product/cat-toys/funkitty-twist-n-treathttp://www.batarat.com/That will tire him out. He will actually "hunt" the bird or feather. When he gets it give him a treat to practice -CATCH - KILL - EAT. That is the way cats hunt. They catch the prey and reward themsleves by eating it.These sessions will tire him out and appeal to his hunting instincts.You can also get a harness and leash and walk him outside like a dog.To stabilize his sleep cycles give him 2 mg of melatonin in his wet food once a day. It is sold OTC in drug stores.Please let me know how Clyde does on that program. I think you will see a different kitty very soon.Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.Kind regards,Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Terri