Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

Customer: We too have a 12 year old female cat with very low

Customer Question

Customer: We too have a 12 year old female cat with very low RBC (12) but high WBC (36000). She is struggling tonight, scheduled for a transfusion in the morning... but will she make it?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Been force feeding since Friday. Our vet first thought it was a parasite destroying RBC, but test came back negative. While at home over the past few days, her temp was normal, respiration rate normal, and was taking between 60 - 80cc AD Critical Care food and 15 - 21cc water supplemented by her own drinking. Spent the day at the vet today, they only gave her 9cc of food, insulin because her blood sugar was at 398, but then it dropped too low so they put her on a glucose drip. This reduced her RBC to 10. They sent her home with me, but is now too weak to swallow food, so I stopped trying. Eyes are dialated, head bobbing, but she won't close her eyes to sleep. What can I do for her?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
JACustomer, thanks for your question. The symptoms that she's exhibiting are very concerning and I am worried that with these symptoms she won't make it to morning. Are you able to go to the ER this evening?