Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

Suddenly my nine yr old male cats back legs have started to give way. Started last night a

Customer Question

Suddenly my nine yr old male cats back legs have started to give way. Started last night and about an hour ago. He's an indoor cat, has had bad diarrhoea too off and on. He's fully alert and within five minutes can walk again. He's eating and drinking as normal.
He just looks like he's drunk!¡!!
Very worried
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Hi Shane,I am so sorry Smudge has this trouble.Can you tell me if his legs feel cold or have blue nail beds?Has he had a recent ear infection?How long does he have diarrhea?After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.Kind regards,Terri
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No blue beds but legs feel colder than usual.
He has been scratching his ears and shaking his head sometimes.
He has diarrhoea about once a month, he has trouble getting his fur balls up. Apart from all that he's alert and fine.
Thank You
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Dear Shane,Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.It is possible Smudge has a middle ear infection causing vestibular syndrome.It is similar to human motion sickness. Makes the cat feel nauseated, disoriented and act "drunk"Read more here In the US we give 13.5 mg of dramamine to relieve the symptoms.An antibiotic will also be scripted to cure the ear infection.For diarrhea add one tablespoon of rice cereal or boiled white rice to a can of wet food.Please let me know how Smudge is doing. Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.Kind regards,Terri
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank You, he's going to the Vet soon and I will let you know.
Does a blood test let you know if it's this syndrome?.
Thank You
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Dear Shane,You are more than welcome. It is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person.No blood test is necessary to diagnose vestibular syndrome. The vet just looks in the ears with a scope.Diarrhea may have depleted his potassium levels.One other possibility is low potassium causing hypokalemia: that is the case a potassium supplement will turn him around.Please let me know what is found and how Smudge is doing.Best wishes for himTerri
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Hi Shane,How is Smudge dong?Do you have a diagnosis?Terri