PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

I adopted a cat from the shelter 2 weeks ago. He is urinating

Customer Question

I adopted a cat from the shelter 2 weeks ago. He is urinating and defeating in his box. But he is peeing on my couch daily. Also I saw blood in one of his stools. The urine is dilute with little smell. I have a vet appt this week. Cat has been with another family in past but was returned for constantly urinating out of the box, cat is male and 1 year. Very nice cat and a real lap cat
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hi Nicole, I am so sorry to hear that Finn is showing perplexing symptoms. Can you offer some additional information about his situation? 1) How old is Finn? 2) Is Finn declawed?3) Any blood in his urine? 4) Have any behavioral medications been tried for Finn with his last family for the inappropriate urination?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hi: He is 1 year old and not declawed. No blood in urine. He has not had any meds for the condition - such as Prozac. Went to vet yesterday and he has a UTI. they gave him an injection of antibiotics. He has blood in stool. They did a fecal test but no result back. He still is peeing on couch. I put litter box next to it with towels in it and he ignores it.
The antibiotics that he was given will take 3-7 days to work, if they will work at all. Because this is a chronic problem, you may also be dealing with some chronic inflammation with his bladder.If you are not already using an enzymatic cleaner, this would be recommended as he may be returning to the site of urination and going again due to smell. The nature's miracle line is my favorite and what I use in my home for my cat who stress pees. http://www.natures-miracle.comIn your shoes, here's how I'd go about approaching this situation.1) Let the antibiotics do their job and re-evaluate in about a week. If you're still seeing problems, move on to the next step.2) Try a few weeks worth of feline glucosamine. This commonly reduces bladder inflammation, although the results are not very fast, and can give you long-term results. Add in feliway diffusers: Talk to your vet about behavioral medications. In some cats, no matter what we do, they will not get past inappropriate habits. At this age, I would hope that you can find something that works aside from behavioral meds, but it's worth a try to see what benefit they might have for you. Prozac is an excellent choice. If your guy does not medicate easily, I would recommend looking at one of the pharmacies below to compound it into a chew. I have a cat who stress urinates and we use the Wedgwood pharmacy and he takes the meds like they're a treat. Roadrunner: http://www.roadrunnerpharmacy.comWedgewood: Did my response answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion?