PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Good Morning (Oregon), I have a cat with Urinary crystals our veterinarian put him on the

Customer Question

Good Morning (Oregon), I have a cat with Urinary crystals our veterinarian put him on the urinary cat food. My cat stayed with my daughter for a month and she didn't feed him his special diet. Now that he's home he is spraying and not wanting to use the cat box, will putting him back on the urinary diet reverse the problems, or should he go to see the vet.
Thank YOu.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hi Jane. It will take me 10-20 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how I will be compensated for my time.
He needs to be placed back on the food immediately for the fastest benefit. However, there's always the risk that he's acquired a bacterial-based UTI and that the inappropriate urination and box avoidance may not stop. Since he's already predisposed to crystals, there's also an increased risk of blockage. If you are able to have him seen, this would be the most wise approach. However, you would not be wrong to switch him back to the proper food, observe him and see how things go, either, since you already know what's likely to be the cause of the symptoms. If he fails to improve in the first week, I would definitely schedule a visit for him to be sure more is not going on than just a return of the crystals. If anytime during this time he starts having problems urinating, is going to the box frequently, etc. it's time to see the vet promptly. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today. Best of luck!