Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

Customer: I have cat who is about age 2 and over the last 6

Customer Question

Customer: I have cat who is about age 2 and over the last 6 months or so seems to keep getting thinner. He also seems to normally active, alert, note: I live in a small town and I am sort of the keeper of the East end feral herd of kitties. I feed them and I give them each (Im usually able to catch them as they eat ) a shot for feline distemper every year. He always wants to eat when its time. I can't afford a vet. what do you think?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: offhand that's about it, since he poops outside. I treated them all with wormer a couple months ago. the only visible thing is he is too skinny.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok but I have to go to bed now - gotta get up to go to work later, and Im just getting home from work now
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Thanks so much for requesting me...It is my pleasure to help.Bless you for helping ferals!May I please have more information?Is this boy neutered?How long have you noticed that he seems to be losing weight?Do any of the other cats bully him or take his food?What is the name of the wormer you use?Do you apply flea control as well?Thanks,Terri
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
not neutered. He is an outdoor cat, but I do flea treat him and others. Unfortunately, with Spring here , I am aware that they need it at least monthly. I can't remember the name of the brand, but it was for both dog and cats, roundworm and then I got him some tapeworm med as well, (praziquantel)around 6 months - he seems to have been losing weight now. this may have leveled out but hes way too thin,.he is not an aggressive cat and may be bullied, some - but they are a remarkably friendly bunch. I have watched him eat with them and he DOES eat.lI thought at first it might be a metabolic issue, but that is mostly older cats.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it doesn't surprise me if you can't peg this. Maybe just some advice about what to look for if I were to bring him inside ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I wish I could stay online but I will be dead tonite if I don't get some rest. Please let me know what my total charge will be for today. Take you time and think this problem over and leave me a note. Thank you very much. Julie
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Dear *****,It is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person!Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.Its possible his issues stem from being a whole kitty. Intact cats burn a huge amount of calories due to excessive hormones in their blood stream.I can give you resources to get him fixed free or very cheap. The ASPCA will do it and give them shots as well: Local animal control will spay and give shots all for 15$The next concern is him being outdoors he could be positive for FeLV or FIV. Either would result in weight loss. Actually these cas can lead almost normal lives if they are kept indoors and away from secondary infections. If that is not possible add 500 mg of l-lysine daily to the community water to boost the immune systems of the colony.He may be so busy checking out in heat females that he literally eats and runs. Neutering will put a stop to that.He should be wormed every 3 weeks to kill hatching eggs.There is only a one time fee no matter how many times you reply. There will be no additional charge.Please let me know how things are going. I will always be here for you.Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.Love,Terri
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you for your advice. I still don't know what I have been charged. I see that if I agree to a phone call its $28 extra dollars. But I need to know a total for today. Sorry to be so persistent about that but I make minimum wage at part-time job and I have already given out my cc information,. I CAN'T AFFORD TO BE RIPPED OFF. also - don't know what dreamland you live in but no vet around here does anything like what you describe for $15. You tell me WHERE and I will take him gladly.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
also when I click on the aspca link you listed it will not allow me to go to that site. (not a computer whiz here - sorry)
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
You are more than welcome. It is my pleasure to "meet" such an awesome person.I am sorry I was offline when you replied.It looks like you agreed to a 22.00 charge for an answer you are happy with. So that is all you would pay and ONLY if you rate an answer positively. Phone calls only apply if you actually ask to be called on the phone.I live in Florida, here animal control neuters, shots and microchip for 15 to residents with pets. It is FREE to folks like you who rescue.Please send me your zip code so I can check for similar resources in your area.Love,Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?