Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My cat has had dry blood in her fur all on her back. I haven't

Customer Question

My cat has had dry blood in her fur all on her back. I haven't found any scabs or anything. We have been dealing with fleas for the past few months. We have tried flea treatment and giving them baths but we still have the problem. Some of the fleas don't look like normal fleas. They are larger and have light brown butts. I don't know if they are a different kind of flea. The cats are strictly indoor. We have two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. The blood you are seeing is secondary to the fleas. Fleas will defecate on the cat and that "flea dirt" is just digested red blood cells. If it gets wet, it is red. The best treatment is a combination of topical flea preventatives (frontline, advantage, revolution) + oral meds to kill fleas (Capstar) + environmental therapy. Flea baths don't do much. Many of the over the counter flea meds (Hartz, Seargant's) also don't do much. Make sure you treat both cats and treat lifelong with flea preventatives. It can take up to 6 months to fully resolve a bad flea infestation. Here is a nice link on how to combat fleas effectively: I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.