Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Customer: My cat had a quick seizure and died in bed next to

Customer Question

Customer: My cat had a quick seizure and died in bed next to me this morning. She had no change in behavior yesterday or during the night. The only thing different is that she ate the equivalent of a pistachio nut last night.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Bella. About 10. No health problems. Very active. House cat only
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: I'm very perplexed. I've had cats all my life but none died without a cause
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 8 months ago.
I am so very sorry for your loss of Dear Bella. You must be heartbroken.When you say she "ate the equivalent of a pistachio nut" do you have any idea what the item actually was?Had she recently been treated with flea or worm meds?Was she spayed?After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answerThank youTerri
Expert:  Terri replied 8 months ago.
Dear friend,I was hoping to hear back from you so we could talk about Bella. II understand how devastating it can be to lose a furry child.When a cat dies suddenly the first thing I suspect is cardiac issue. Some breeds are predisposed to HCM. Please read more here:http://www.vet.cornell.edu/hospital/Services/Companion/Cardiology/conditions/HCM.cfm Of course,its possible she ingested a pill or toxin. Unfortunately, without a necropsy we may never know for sure.Most likely she had a heart attack, blood clot or stroke...these things happen to people as well.I want to assure you this was NOT your fault.....you took amazing care of Bella.I am so very sorry about this tragedy. If I can help in any way or you wish to talk about her........please do not hesitate to contact me. I will always be here for you.Love,Terri