Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Customer: My cat had an allergic reaction to some flea medication,

Customer Question

Customer: My cat had an allergic reaction to some flea medication, Vectra. As soon as I realized it was the medicine and not the fleas driving her nuts, I washed it off as quickly as possible. Now she's being really spazzy and ravinously biting and scratching her bites.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: I'm not sure what to do to calm her
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. It does sound like this is a reaction to the flea meds. We typically see this in cats that are inadvertently given a dog flea medication. Most dog meds have pyrethrins, which are toxic in cats. The first thing to do, is wash it off with a Dawn dish soap. This cuts into the oil to remove it. After that, you need to go to an ER vet. They will give injectable muscle relaxants (Methocarbamol) to stop the tremors. From there, most cats are hospitalized for 12-24 hours on IV fluids and repeat doses of injectable Methocarbamol. For the more mild cats, I give 1 IV dose and then send home on oral Methocarbamol. Most cats do great and they're back to normal within 24-48 hours. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.