Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I came home and one of our cats threw up his food and foam

Customer Question

I came home and one of our cats threw up his food and foam what looked like 6 times, 2 food and 4 foam. Should I take him to emergency services?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.
Hello Sara,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. How is Daario in himself other than the vomiting, is he still quite bright? You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No. He sat in one of his spots and allowed himself to be pet and nodded off but isn't focusing well, seems tired or weak. They are fed twice a day and he wouldn't eat this evening. He drank water a little while ago and threw up foam again 5-10 minutes later so now he went and hid under a chair to sleep and he's normally always in my lap or near me.
Hello again Sara, Sorry to hear that Daario is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. The bot***** *****ne is this, where a cat is vomiting and is otherwise quite bright and happy then the chances are that this may pass on it's own or you may be able to handle the situation with simple home remedies. However where a cat is showing other symptoms such as the lethargy as in Daario's case then it would be best to have him checked over by a vet ASAP even if this means using an ER vet. It could be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics may be required. 2. In the meantime until you can get him to a vet all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured and try and make sure he is taking small amounts of fluids regularly.I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how Daario is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his vomiting and lethargy ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello! When the other cat had diarrhea too I figured out that it was the cat litter I believe. We started new special clumping cat litter and it was the only thing that changed recently. I returned them to their own old litter last night and wiped down their feet and fur and both are doing great!Thank you
That sounds very encouraging, so glad this was not anything serious ... Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Sara, Of course I am very glad to have advised you and even more glad that Daario has been unaffected by his experience. However I wonder if you could possible do me a favour and rate my service to you on the site? This really helps my standing in the Just Answer community. Kindest regards, *****
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Daario. How is everything going?

Vet_Answers