Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

We vhave a 6 year old cat who has not been to a vet since befo

Customer Question

We vhave a 6 year old cat who has not been to a vet since befo we can buy. The vet won't prescribe until he/she sees herre we adopted her. According to her symptoms, she has a feline resoptive dental. There is no sign untol she eats but then she acts like her jaw is dislocated for about 5 minutes then is fine. She had formerly drooled when this happened but doesn't seem to drool now. Is there any OTC cat sedative we cn but. The vet won't prescribe until he/she sees her which will be a catch 22. Thank you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Hello Harvey,I am so sorry Daisy has resorptive lesions. As you know, they are quite painful.For more information on Feline Resorptive lesions, please visit the following links: The only way to sedate her homeopathic is with chlortrimeton and turkey.add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food turkey with no onion or garlic.You can also use canned turkey cat food. It cpntains l-triptohan and is sleep inducing. it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so she will not detect itAny of these are also acceptable:Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily orChlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day orClaritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat orZyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a dayIt is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).Any of those plus turkey should sedate her enough to be handle a half an hour after she takes it.Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.Kind regards,Terri