Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

Customer: my cat has started showing a dent in her fur over

Customer Question

Customer: my cat has started showing a dent in her fur over her right hip on & off over the last week. She is not limping, has no tenderness or signs of abnormality w/ palpation. All other behavior is normal
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what do you want to know?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how long do you think?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Hello,I am sorry you are concerned.May I please have more information?How old is your girl?Can you please tell me if you ever saw her grooming (licking) the area?Does it ever feel damp?Is she an indoor kitty?After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.Thank you,Terri
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is 7-8 years old, no extra grooming or dampness at that area and she is an indoor cat with access to an inclosure attached to the house
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.Typically, licking the area would cause the fur to look dented. She could also have pain in the area causing her to lie on that spot trying to cushion it. Fluid can also form under the skin to cause a dented appearance.If it is not bothering her and she is eating and eliminating normally I would not be overly concerned.Apply a warm compress 5 minutes on and ten off for an hour to bring fresh blood to the surface. Gentle massage of the hip and back should also help.Please let me know how she does and if the dent disappears.Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.Kind regards,Terri
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As I said, no extra grooming to the area or abnormality noted and no pain with palpation, any other ideas
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
I still think the area is bothering her. Try the compresses and let me know if the fur returns to normal.There is no specific internal issue that would cause this so we need to concentrate on the surface.Also brush the fur up and see if it stays that way or dents again.
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?