PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My cat has what appears to be flea dermititis. Saw a flea and

Customer Question

My cat has what appears to be flea dermititis. Saw a flea and treated with frontline. No fleas seen anymore. However she has picked at an area on her back near tail and there's little red bumps. Anything that I can put on to relieve her?
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.
Hi J, thanks for your question. I'm sorry for the delay this evening in receiving a response to your question. Can you give me some additional information on Coconut? 1) When was the flea seen?2) When was the frontline applied? 3) Is she indoor only?4) Is the grooming that she was previously doing still continuing? 5) Has a flea comb or similar item been used to run over her coat to ensure no fleas (I saw that none have otherwise been seen).
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Saw the flea a week ago. Applied frontline next day. She's indoor only. No flea comb but I've inspected her. She will still occasionally pull at her fur in that area.
I'm going to give you some instructions that may help, but for many cats that have problems with FAD (flea allergy dermatitis) they need something more potent like steroids to break that cycle of itching. The hair will take a few weeks to grow back. It is safe to give antihistamines to help with itching. Chlorpheniramine is my preferred choices for cats. Dosages are here: http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/ You can by this medication at most any grocery store with a pharmacy section. You may also wish to clean the area with soap and water before applying the neosporin. If she continues picking at herself, using an e-collar may be the most useful approach to keep her from grooming herself bald in these areas and causing more skin trauma. You can make one with these instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFWPH17u0eUIf the Chlorpheniramine doesn't help within a few days, I would opt to have a steroid injection performed. For very itchy cats, this is the best approach to give them relief and usually lasts 21-30 days giving her time to heal her skin and regrow fur. If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish assisting you before you rate my service.