Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My 1 year old male cat looks like he is pregnant. He was diagnosed

Customer Question

my 1 year old male cat looks like he is pregnant. He was diagnosed and treated for a clostridium infection and we also changed his food. But this belly thing is strange.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.How is his appetite and activity level?Any vomiting or diarrhea?Any coughing?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.
I wasn't sure if you were going to respond back or not, but I may need to get offline soon, so I wanted to mention a couple things. With an enlarged abdomen in a 1 year old cat, we are usually concerned with fluid buildup. The most common concern is feline infectious peritonitis (FIP). This is a serious disease of young cats, and unfortunately there is no cure. It is deadly. Hopefully that is not the case here, especially if he is acting normal otherwise. But it could still be early in the disease process. Other causes of fluid buildup would be bleeding, liver problems, kidney problems and heart problems. I would expect other clinical signs associated with those diseases, and they could be bad as well. I would want to make sure he just isn't getting overweight, though, or that there isn't a potential mass in the abdomen. Intestinal parasites or some other chronic gastrointestinal problems can also cause fluid buildup. The point to take away here, though, is that there is a strong potential for this to be serious and should warrant an immediate trip to the veterinarian. If it was just overweight, you would probably see weight gain everywhere, so I am assuming that is not what you are seeing. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. If you come back when I am offline, I will be back on to address further concerns. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.