Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Customer: my cat has stomatitis do homeopathy treatments work

Customer Question

Customer: my cat has stomatitis do homeopathy treatments work such as vitamins B complex, vit A and vit E plus zinc, Alfalfa and Q10.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: he has had medicine from the vet but so far it has not lessened the pain I have also been putting drops of antiseptic along the gums, he is a wild cat that has partially been tamed. I have been able to administer the medicine with a small syringe.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes if it is no longer than 20 minutes as it is getting late here in Spain otherwise I will try again tomorrow thank you
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. Homeopathy can help some, but I have found the only thing that cures stomatitis in cats is full mouth extractions. Sometimes we leave the canines to help keep the tongue in the mouth. If the signs still persist, then they may also have to be removed. I have seen some managed with daily brushing and immuno-modulatory meds/ therapies. More often than not, though, they need the teeth removed. This is because the disease is essentially an allergy to the enamel of the teeth. The only way to prevent the reaction to the enamel is to remove the teeth. It's drastic, but it works and these cats are so much more comfortable after. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.