VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

10 year old social kitty suddenly hiding under my bed. Now

Customer Question

10 year old social kitty suddenly hiding under my bed. Now has not gone poop or pee in 24 hrs still interested in food and water if hand fed. Will not take initiative to walk on her own.
Category: Cat
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 8 months ago.
Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to answer your question for you. Can you describe a little more detail about what's going on? What do you mean she is not walking on her own, is she unable? And has she tried to pee and poop and been unable, or is she just not going to the litter box to try?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No peeing or pooping not going to her box to try. She seems weak and isn't interested in walking. Will take food and water by hand only.
This is a serious issue for a kitty, and given her age it could be indicative of several diseases including heart problems, kidney problems, liver issues, and so forth. Cats are very hardy when it comes to illness and pain. They will not display it openly out of instinct to keep them from being targeted by larger prey animals. When they REALLY feel ill, the stop eating and start hiding. These are the earmarks of a really sick kitty. Given that she's not performing the appropriate functions, I think the absolute best thing you can do for her is to get her into the vet clinic. Something going on internally is not something you will be able to do anything for with home care. Did you have any further questions?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you, ***** *****'s my friend and I can't let her suffer. I appreciate your feedback.
You're very welcome. Good luck, and let me know how it goes. I hope she gets to feeling better!