Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

Customer: we have a cat 16 yrs old (siamese) we just lost

Customer Question

Customer: hi we have a cat 16 yrs old (siamese) we just lost her companion about 2 months ago. another cat and they were very bonded. lately she has been more obsessed with food that usual, although she has always been food obsessed. she has not lost weight, she has been gaining. she does have arthritis and declined kidney function. recently she makes very loud wails in the night, and after eating?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: we are concerned about the intense yowling she has been displaying. our vet believes it could be part of many changes that have occurred suddenly for her, or possibly some cognitive decline. although she doesn't seem confused. after she eats and she wants more food she will go to the pantry and scream at the door to get more food? when we had the second cat she did steal a good portion of his food, so even though we think she is eating more, maybe its less. since she is overweight we don't want to feed her more, but she sounds so distressed?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I may have to run out to a meeting, in a few min so I will try again later!
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Hello,First, let me say, I am so sorry for your loss.Cats grieve just like people (especially for a bonded mate). If your girl did not see the body she does not know where he went. Part of her vocalizing is calling for her friend.She may be eating more to sooth her self (people do it too when they are stressed).She could have a touch of dementia as well. that cause howling are hyperthyroid and kidney disease. she eats dry food changing to canned will result in natural weight loss because dry has much more Canned will help with her arthritis because it lubricates the joints. She also needs a glucosimine supplement. I recommend dasiquin. feliway plug -in will calm her down. her one mg of melatonin every day. It will stabilize her sleep cycles . Turkey contains l-triptophan and is sleep inducing. Give her some at night. Leave on a nightlight and radio on low so she does not feel so alone at night.Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply any time and I will be here for you.Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.Kind regards,Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?