Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

Okay first let me start off by saying that I am extremely

Customer Question

Okay first let me start off by saying that I am extremely broke and was definitely not prepared for this situation I have very little money to spare and I don't even know what I should do at this moment but I love my cat and I'm concerned so hopefully somebody there can answer me and let me know what's going on for a reasonable price basically I have a 3 year old cat just had kittens about a week and a half ago she had for kittens and let me tell you she loves these kittens I've done a lot of research on new mother CATS. people always writing and ask if it's normal if a mother cat ignores her kittens and the answer is always that yes of course it's normal that the mother cat needs a break every once in awhile so she's going to seem like she's ignoring the kittens this cat never takes a break she is with those kittens all day all night long pretty much every second of the day except for a quick run to her food bowl and water bowl to eat a little something and then goes right back to them so when we noticed that she was laying down away from her kittens just all by herself we thought that was a little weird so we picked her up and we brought her over to her bed and put her down which is also very uncommon she never rests while her kittens are unintended we covered her with a blanket which is also very rare she doesn't like being covered with a blanket she always wants to be by those kittens and she seems to be breathing very quickly. she really is the kind of cat that when you pick her up you can only hold her for a few quick seconds and then she'll jump down and I think that's mostly because she wants to buy those kittens are we able to get to them as quickly as possible because he is a loving cuddly cat without them so the fact that she's letting us hold her and cover her and love on her extreme it just seems like as soon as he started not feeling well she left the kittens to go and not feel well away from them and even if one of them makes a little squeak or cries out she isn't running over to them like she usually does she's just laying there what could this be why is she breathing so quickly and what could we do
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Hi, Allison. Thanks for your question.

As you mentioned, it's common for mother cats to leave their young for short periods of time. Her symptoms are concerning.

Are you able to take her temperature? You can use a manual thermometer or a digital one (they're less than 5 bucks at any store with a pharmacy section). This will need to be taken rectally. If you don't have KY jelly, a small amount of vaseline or chapstick will work to insert the thermometer.

Are you noticing any areas on her that seem painful? Hot? Swollen? Does she have any vaginal discharge?

Health-wise, how are the kittens doing?