Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

Black crusty stuff around eyes nose mouth, lethargic,

Customer Question

Customer: black crusty stuff around eyes nose mouth, lethargic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Dumplin is 9 she has lost weight in just the past couple of days
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dumplin?
Customer: not that i know of she feels sort of warm and her coat is not its usual shine
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: ok
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

I'm sorry Dumplin is not feeling like herself and has you worried.

From your description of her symptoms, there are various causes, but the main ones that come to mind are an upper respiratory infection (URI), other respiratory-related conditions, or a dental problem like stomatitis or gingivitis. In addition, older cats are more prone to develop hyperthyroidism, which can cause weight loss and an unkempt coat.

If Dumplin has not been eating at all or properly, and this is causing the weight loss, she risks developing a serious liver condition called hepatic lipidosis, so it's important to get her eating again; BUT, if she's not eating as usual, this could be due to oral pain caused by an abscessed tooth or teeth, infected gums, a foreign object stuck in her mouth, or stomatitis. Here is more information about these conditions:

If she feels warmer than usual, she may have fever, so if you have a regular rectal thermometer or a digital one, you can take her temperature to check it. Normal temp. for cats is between 100.5 and 102.5. If she has 103 or over, she has fever and definitely needs to be seen in person by a vet, asap.

If you can get her to an ER vet center, now, that would be advisable. It's important for her to be examined in person so a diagnosis can be made and then she can be treated and feeling much better. If you're not sure of the location of the nearest ER vet center, plug in your zipcode at the site, below:

I hope all will be well with Dumplin and please let me know how she's doing and what the vet tells you, after her exam. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue.

Warmest regards,

Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?