Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat can't walk; when he tries to locomote he staggers and

Customer Question

Customer: My cat can't walk; when he tries to locomote he staggers and drags himself until I pick him up to carry him. It is so sad to see this. He isn't eating; I managed to get him to drink a little water, a little goat milk, but that's all. I believe that he is about 20 years old. I tried to take him to the emergency animal hospital today but he started screaming when I put the top on his carrier. He was so stressed out from it that it took me a few hours to calm him down. He's happy and purring as long as I am with him, but he gets upset when I go in another room for very long. Currently he is under the bed and seems to be happy there. This all started happening just a couple of days ago.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Angel is an obese, approximately 20 year old Main Coon mix. What else would you like to know?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Who are the cat experts, and how long will it take before they respond, and how detailed will the response be?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.

Hi JACustomer, thanks for your question.

Are his rear legs working?

When did this begin?

Was it a slow progression of having to drag himself or did this happen spontaneously?

Any past history of kidney or heart disease?