Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My old cat is afraid of the new cat. The old cat will not

Customer Question

Customer: my old cat is afraid of the new cat. The old cat will not move from her cat bed except for food and to use the bathroom. When the new cat approaches her, she (the old cat) hisses and runs. It is ridiculous and annoying. Why is my old cat such a coward?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Cat (aka "Catilac) and she is about 7 years.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Quot;Catilac?
Customer: She only stays in her cat bed when the new cat is around. Once he is not around, the old cat is fine and runs around as usual.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) How long has the new cat been in the home?
2) How long has the older cat been in the home?
3) How old is the older cat?
4) When the older cat runs, does the new cat chase her?
5) What protocol was taken to introduce these cats? Give as much info as you cat including the amount of time that was spent allowing them to get to know one another before free access was granted to the house.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1. About a month and a half.
2. She has been the only cat in the house for at least 8 years.
3. She is about 8 years.
4. Yes, the new cat chases her. But he seems to only want to play until she hits him too hard (then, the new cat gets serious and they swing at each other).
5. We first kept them in separate rooms and fed them both at opposite sides of the same door so they could smell each other. We did this for about a week.