Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My cat is eating and going to the litter ok but he has lost

Customer Question

Customer: my cat is eating and going to the litter ok but he has lost a lot of weight
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: if i feed him dry cat food he throws it up so i've been giving him wet cat food and tuna now and then
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: i guess
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.

Thanks so much for requesting me. It is my pleasure to help.

Can I please have more information?
How old is your boy?
How much weight has he lost in how long a period?

Does he have any known health issues?

Is he an indoor kitty?

After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok my cat is all skin and bone and he is almost always hungry so i tried a dewormer but it didn't work i can't really afford to go to a vet. a fried of mine had her kitty go through it and the vet said nothing could be done that it has to do with old age my kitty is about 15 years in human life and no health issues. i didn't notice how long but in the last month he is all skin and bone
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no that's my other kitty this one is 13 in human years
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he is indoor and he is neutered
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i've looked symptoms up online but found nothing that matches
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
will you be very long with an answer?
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

It sounds like he has hyperthyroid. That is very common in a cat his age.

It is not true that nothing can be done. This ailment is quite treatable with a food made by Hills called Y/D.

It comes in wet and dry forms:

In the meantime you can help him put weight back on by feeding him small meals every two hours. That is the best way for his body to metabolize calories.

He can have tuna, salmon, canned food, boiled chicken,baby food (no onion or garlic), anything he likes and will eat.

If you use dry food feed grain free as he is less likely to throw up from that.

Please let me know how he does on that program.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok i will try that and see how it i come back here for an update on my kitty his name is ***** ***** my name is ***** ***** do i have to pay again
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.

Dear Lesley,

You are more than welcome. It is my pleasure to help such a wonderful lady.

There is no further charge. This is a one time fee you pay when you rate. After that you may reply as many times as you wish for free.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer so I am credited by the site. I will still be here for you and Cloud at no additional charge.

Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.

How is your fur baby today?

Happy Easter!